Location: Enrollment Services – Gettysburg + Philadelphia
Purpose: The Director of Admissions is a member of the Student Services and Enrollment staff and, under the guidance of the Vice President and in collaboration with the Admissions team supports the enrollment activities of ULS through oversight and implementation of the annual admissions strategy, as well as representing the seminary to external audiences and providing timely and thorough follow-up to those interested in enrolling at the seminary. This position also has responsibilities in partnership with the Director of the Co-op Program in providing information regarding this pathway. In addition, this position also has responsibilities in partnership with the Director of the Graduate Studies program in providing information and facilitating the admissions process for those applying for advanced degrees.
Reports To: Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment
Travel: 40% (significant local and national travel required)
- Represent the Seminary at significant church events, both within the ELCA and with other denominations, including local, regional, and national church events.
- Development and implementation of annual admissions strategy, including decisions on staff travel, scheduling and creating programming for discernment events and group visit events, and tending to relationships with ELCA Region 7 and Region 8 synod staff and candidacy committees, campus ministry sites, outdoor ministry sites and parish pastors/congregations.
- Oversee admissions process for both campuses, with primary attention to the coordination of ongoing communication with all inquiries, prospective students and applicants using CRM software (customer relations management), which is separate from Empower. Assign appropriate follow-up to admissions staff.
- In partnership with the Coordinator of Admissions services, develop policy and procedure for all campus visits (scripts for tours; general information shared on curriculum, admission, financial aid; travel reimbursement; training of student hosts). Act as primary host (or designate this responsibility) for all visitors.
- Coordinate annual Fund for Leaders scholarship process, including targeting possible FFL recipients, assisting them in the FFL application process, and communicating ULS financial aid policies that apply to FFL scholars.
- Manage all online and social media communication targeting new students.
- Take on other responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment.
- MDiv or MA from an accredited seminary is required; 3+ years parish experience is preferred; previous experience in college or seminary admissions is helpful.
- Theologically sound, articulate about vocation and discernment, committed to ecumenism and diversity.
- Detailed knowledge of ULS programs and policies, and familiarity with ELCA candidacy process.
- Advanced computer literacy and willingness to continue to expand abilities in this area is required; proficiency with MS Office including Excel and Word is required; experience with database management and CRM software is preferred; knowledge of social media and application for recruitment is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Natural aptitude for hospitality; capable of working effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds; demonstrated ability to multitask.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of the United Lutheran Seminary (the “Seminary” or “ULS”), in accordance with its ByLaws, Human Resource Practices and applicable federal/state laws and regulations, not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, parental status, disability, family medical history or genetic information, or any other non-merit based factor.