Position: Director of Student Services
Location: Student Services – Philadelphia and Gettysburg
Purpose: The Director of Student Services is a member of the Student Services and Enrollment staff and supports the mission of United Lutheran Seminary through oversight and implementation of services that fall outside of the academic areas of the seminary. This includes student transition and orientation, coordinating services for students with disabilities, coordinating student life and student housing, overseeing an ongoing Lilly grant, working with international students, and assisting with Title IX compliance and investigations.
Reports to: Dean and Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment
Travel: 25% + (expected to be a regular presence on both campuses)
Summary of Responsibilities
Responsible for the smooth operation of the seminary’s human resource activities. Works in tandem with and provides counsel to the seminary administration on all human resource decisions and issues.
- Maintain a high level of student contact, visibility, and availability. Serve as the primary point of contact for first theological students (MDiv, MA, MAML, MAPL) once admitted to a degree program. This includes communicating about the registration process, student billing process, assigning housing and coordinating move-in dates, and providing student orientation programming at the beginning of each semester. Continue as primary source of information throughout student’s degree program, often working in collaboration with other offices (contextual formation, registrar, financial aid, academic dean, IT) to gather and disseminate information to student body in a timely and clear fashion.
- Maintain updates to the Student Handbook, and assist Dean and Vice President in management of student disciplinary issues as outlined in Student Handbook.
- Coordinate student life activities in conjunction with student leadership on both campuses.
- Coordinate accommodations for students with disabilities, and in consultation with the Dean, create individualized plans for students needing extra attention/assistance in coursework completion. Coordinate, with Librarian, any needed writing workshops or writing tutors.
- Provide basic counseling care to students and members of the community, and make referrals to therapists and spiritual directors as needed.
- Coordinate services for international students. Advise, counsel and educate students in adjusting to life at the seminary and in the United States, including addressing personal, financial and social concerns.
- Coordinate current Lilly grant, Economic Challenges Facing Future Ministers.
- Hold certification as Title IX Coordinator and/or Investigator, and as such assist the Director of Human Resources with mandatory annual training for students, faculty and staff. Participate in any Title IX investigations that occur.
- Take on other responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment.
- MA in student services, student affairs, higher ed administration or related area is strongly preferred; 3+ years previous experience in college, university or seminary student services is preferred; experience with church-related institutions is desired; theological training is not required but would be helpful.
- Familiarity with general theology and social statements of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in American (elca.org).
- Committed to ecumenism and diversity.
- Detailed knowledge of ULS programs and policies.
- Advanced computer literacy and willingness to continue to expand abilities in this area is required; proficiency with MS Office including Excel and Word is required; experience with database management is preferred. Experience with Empower is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Natural aptitude for hospitality; capable of working effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds; demonstrated ability to multitask.
- Position requires maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
Interested candidates should send a letter of application, resume and the contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Student Services in the title line. Review of applications will begin immediately.