United Lutheran Seminary Mission Statement:
Unifying, Learning, Serving: United Lutheran Seminary is a welcoming and diverse learning community equipping people to proclaim the living Gospel for a changing church and world.
United Lutheran Seminary strives to foster an environment that enables all students, faculty and staff to embrace the spirit of ULS and contribute at the highest possible level to support the mission of the Seminary. ULS seeks a strategic diversity and inclusion leader who is energized by the opportunity to design and deliver a transformative and strategic diversity and inclusion function.
The Director is an experienced professional, passionate about driving diversity and inclusion strategy and fostering a culture to enable all in the ULS Community to do meaningful, impactful work at the highest possible level in an inclusive environment.
The Director will become a member of a community of faculty, staff, students and constituents committed to its mission as an educational institution (Seminary) of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA), guided by its Christian Faith.
Reporting to the President, the Director is responsible for ensuring that the Seminary promotes inclusive excellence and cultural proficiency (cultural competency) for all faculty, staff, students and alumni. In consultation with students, faculty staff, administration and the Diversity Task Force, the Director will develop a strategic plan which will help ensure a sense of respect, trust, fairness and understanding of the Seminary’s strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Create and maintain a DEI website.
- Chair the Diversity Taskforce.
- Plans, guides and advises President and Senior Leaders on diversity, equity, inclusion and related matters.
- Promotes the Seminary’s commitment to a climate of equity, diversity, and inclusion through interaction with the Board of Trustees, Sr Leaders, faculty, staff, students and the community.
- Determines the appropriateness of introducing diversity initiatives and considers the unique needs of the university.
- Works with Human Resources for Employee Education to develop training initiatives to educate employees and managers on how to recognize, accommodate and appreciate individual differences and how these can be bridged back to assist in meeting Seminary’s strategic plans.
- Work with the HR Director concerning related issues such as Title IX and best practices for cultural proficiency for faculty, staff, students and the Board of Trustees.
- Keeps current on diversity programs and developments by maintaining contact with others in the field (e.g., professional association and educational groups, and professional development efforts).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in social justice, post-secondary education, sociology, public administration, human resource management or other related field.
- 3-5 years of experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in a higher education or similar organization; including some management or supervisory experience.
- Effectively communicate both in writing and verbally; strong public speaking abilities.
- Ability to manage and lead multiple priorities.
- Strong knowledge and ability to use various social media sites and Microsoft office suite.
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree in related area,
- Certified Diversity Professional (CDP), Certified Diversity Executive (CDE), or other diversity certification.
- Knowledge of ELCA or other major Christian denominations.
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter, along with three references, to HR@ULS.edu.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.